Your privacy is important to The Licensed Advisor Association LimitedThis Privacy Statement covers our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information as well as our obligations and your rights as set out in the Privacy Act 2020
In this Privacy Statement, The Licensed Advisor Association Limited is referred to as “we”, “our” or “us”. We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time. The most current version will be available online.
Certain services and facilities we provide, or submissions, applications or requests you make to us, may be subject to additional terms and conditions and privacy statements. Therefore, we recommend that you carefully read the terms and conditions and any specific privacy statements that apply at the time you sign-up to use our services, facilities or make a submission, application or request to us.
What kind of personal information we collect
We need to collect personal information for numerous reasons. However, we will only do so when this is necessary for a lawful purpose connected with one of our functions or activities.
The personal information we collect may include your name, date of birth, address or area you live in, email address, telephone numbers, age, gender, household arrangement, prior criminal convictions, health information, immigration history in New Zealand or elsewhere, and pictures or video footage of you. It may also include information on your use of our services or facilities.
We may also collect personal information regarding your communications and interactions with us.
When we collect your information
- We may collect personal information about you when you, or someone authorised to act on your behalf, provides information to us directly. For example, when you:
- apply for employment with us;
- communicate with us, whether in person, by letter, phone, text, email, instant messages or other means of electronic communication, including in relation to any payment you make to us;
- complete and submit forms we provide for applications for visas, employer verifications, etc.
- use, or register for, any of our services or facilities, including our online services and apps and online payment services
- submit a written submission, request or other feedback in relation to applications for visas, or other official requests on your behalf
- subscribe to any of our newsletter or update services;
- follow or post comments in response to our social media or other facilities such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube; or
- appear in any images and audio from recoded interactions
- We may keep a record of any information that you acquire from us.
- We may monitor and record phone calls made to or by us for quality control or staff training purposes. If a call you make to us, or that we may make to you, is to be monitored and recorded, you will be informed of this at the time of the call.
- We may collect personal information about you from other organisations or persons, such as:
- Our related organisations and suppliers for our services, such as: New Zealand Police, career brand and recruiters, current and past employers, health providers, Courts, etc.
- Our suppliers, contractors or service providers in relation to goods, works, services and facilities they provide on our behalf;
- Other organisations and persons where you have expressly authorised them to provide us with information.
When you visit one of our websites, we may use technology solutions such as “cookies” to provide you with better access to tailored information and services on the websites and to better serve you when you return to them. A cookie is a small data file that a website or app sends to your device, which may be stored for later retrieval by the website or app. If you want to disable cookies, you may do so by changing the settings on your browser. However, if you do so, you may not be able to use all the functions on our websites.
We use non-personalised statistics to monitor site traffic, to analyse trends, to gather demographic information about those who use our services, to improve our services and to improve user experience. These anonymised and/or amalgamated statistics do not include personal information.
“Closed Circuit Television” (CCTV) capturing both sound and footage, may be used in particular areas to monitor client movements in our offices. Signage indicates where CCTV equipment is operating.
How we use your information
The personal information that we collect from you, or someone authorised to act on your behalf, may be used by us for any of the following purposes:
- To provide you with services or facilities – including those you have requested, applied or registered to use
- To confirm your identity. This is to ensure we provide you with appropriate and relevant services and information, and to avoid inappropriate release or use of your information.
- To respond to correspondence or to provide you with information or services that you have requested, including in relation to any submission you have made to us.
- To process your application for any visa or other authorisation for which you have applied.
- To process payments received, or made, by us.
- To respond to your correspondence, requests, enquiries or feedback, or for customer care related activities; including communicating to other persons you have authorised us to deal with on your behalf.
- To seek your feedback on our services or facilities you have used. This will help us better understand who is using our services and facilities and how these can be improved.
- To assist us in analysing, and further developing and improving our services and facilities.
- To provide you with information about our events, news, services or facilities that we consider may be of interest to you.
- To comply with relevant laws and regulations, including the storage of information on public registers (e.g. Rating Information Database).
- To carry out activities connected with the running of our business or operations such as personnel training, testing and maintenance of computer and other systems or processes, or ensuring the information we hold about you is consistent across the organisation.
- To update any information that we currently hold about, or in connection with, you in our existing records, databases or systems.
- For any specific purpose which we notify you of at the time your personal information is collected.
- For general administrative and business purposes.
- For any other purposes that you authorise.
Sharing your information
We may disclose personal information about you to:
- Any person or organisation we use to provide goods, works, services or facilities to you on our behalf, where your personal information is necessary for the provision of those goods, works, services or facilities.
- Our agents, suppliers, contractors, service providers (including website hosting providers) and any other third parties to the extent this is necessary to make our services and facilities available to you, or in connection with any of the purposes set out in this statement. We will only provide such third parties the relevant information required for the provision of the services and facilities, and the third parties are prohibited from using such personal information for any other purpose.
- A third party if we are required to do so under any legislation, or in the course of legal proceedings or other investigations.
- Any person we may notify you of at the time we collect your information, and any person to whom you authorise us to disclose your personal information.
- Any person, if that information is publicly available.
What if you do not provide us with the personal information requested?
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information about you that we request from you, we may not be able to adequately respond to your correspondence, process any applications you want us to prepare or submit, provide the services or facilities you have requested, process payments or otherwise deal with any requests or enquiries you have made. In some circumstances, failure to provide information when requested may be unlawful, and/or result in legal consequences, for instance withholding information about prior criminal convictions which would then compromise any future visa applications and may result in criminal charges. These circumstances and the potential consequences will be explained to you when your personal information is collected.
Keeping your information secure and accurate
We take reasonable steps to ensure personal information is:
- protected against loss, damage, misuse and unauthorised access;
- accurate, up to date, complete, relevant, and not misleading.
How long we hold personal information
We may retain all personal information that we collect (on both our active systems and our archive systems), for as long as administratively necessary, in accordance with relevant legislation.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You may request confirmation of whether we hold any personal information about you and you may request access to your personal information that we hold by contacting us (details provided below).
Once we have verified your identity, we will provide you with such confirmation and access unless one of the grounds for refusal to do so under the Privacy Act applies.
Firearms and other offensive weapons
We not allow any firearms or other types of offensive weapons on our premises, and we will refer anyone violating this rule, to NZ Police without notice.